Reddit Gold highlights the most useful and educational content on Reddit as found on r/AutoBestOf.
Today’s post is from u/PoppinKREAM who summarizes the arrest of David Correia.
Yesterday David Correia was the third associate of Rudy Giuliani that has been arrested. Last week we learned that 2 associates of President Trump’s personal attorney were arrested while attempting to fly out of the country and charged by the Justice Department for violating campaign finance laws. Giuliani’s associates were engaged in a scheme to funnel foreign money into American political campaigns so they could buy influence in the U.S.. Furthermore, Giuliani was working with these same associates in Ukraine trying to land extremely lucrative bussiness deals between President Trump’s allies and one of the largest Ukrainian state owned gas companies. This occurred a few months
prior to President Trump withholding military aid while pushing the newly elected Ukrainian President to investigate President Trump’s domestic political rival.
Associates working closely with Giuliani were arrested and charged by the Justice Department as they tried to influence American politics.
Lev Parnas, Igor Fruman, David Correia, and Andrey Kukushkin, the defendants, conspired to circumvent the federal laws against foreign influence by engaging in a scheme to funnel foreign money to candidates for federal and state office so that the defendants could buy potential influence with candidates, campaigns, and the candidates’ governments. The defendants concealed the scheme from candidates, campaigns, federal regulators, and the public by entering into secret agreements, laundering foreign money through bank accounts in the names of limited liability corporations, and through the use of straw donors (also known as “conduits” or “straw contributors”) who purported to make legal campaign contributions in their own names, rather than in the name of the true source of the funds.
Months before the now infamous phone call between President Trump and newly elected President Zelenksy, Guiliani was in Ukraine trying to find dirt on Biden. He was working with his business associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman. During the same period in which they were helping Giuliani in Ukraine, Parnas and Fruman were pursuing a lucrative deal with a Ukrainian state owned oil company known as Naftogaz. They were part of a group trying to install new management at the top of Ukraine’s massive oil company.
As Rudy Giuliani was pushing Ukrainian officials last spring to investigate one of Donald Trump’s main political rivals, a group of individuals with ties to the president and his personal lawyer were also active in the former Soviet republic.
Their aims were profit, not politics. This circle of businessmen and Republican donors touted connections to Giuliani and Trump while trying to install new management at the top of Ukraine’s massive state gas company. Their plan was to then steer lucrative contracts to companies controlled by Trump allies, according to two people with knowledge of their plans.
Their plan hit a snag after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko lost his reelection bid to Volodymyr Zelenskiy, whose conversation with Trump about former Vice President Joe Biden is now at the center of the House impeachment inquiry of Trump.
But the effort to install a friendlier management team at the helm of the gas company, Naftogaz, would soon be taken up with Ukraine’s new president by U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry, whose slate of candidates included a fellow Texan who is one of Perry’s past political donors.
…In early March, Fruman, Parnas and Sargeant were touting a plan to replace Naftogaz CEO Andriy Kobolyev with another senior executive at the company, Andrew Favorov, according to two individuals who spoke to the AP as well as a memorandum about the meeting that was later submitted to the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv, formerly known as Kiev.
…The three approached Favorov with the idea while the Ukrainian executive was attending an energy industry conference in Texas. Parnas and Fruman told him they had flown in from Florida on a private jet to recruit him to be their partner in a new venture to export up to 100 tanker shipments a year of U.S. liquefied gas into Ukraine, where Naftogaz is the largest distributor, according to two people briefed on the details.
Sargeant told Favorov that he regularly meets with Trump at Mar-a-Lago and that the gas-sales plan had the president’s full support, according to the two people who said Favorov recounted the discussion to them.
…According to Dale Perry and the other person, Favorov said Parnas told him Trump planned to remove U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch and replace her with someone more open to aiding their business interests.
What have we learned since Giuliani’s associates were arrested?
- Two of Giuliani’s associates were trying to fly out of the U.S. and possibly to Vienna, Austria.
Mr. Giuliani said Thursday that Messrs. Parnas and Fruman were headed to Vienna, Austria, on Wednesday evening for reasons related to their business. He said the two men had also left the country about two weeks ago and had traveled to Vienna between three and six times in the last two months. He said he had been scheduled to meet with the two when they were to return to Washington within days.
- Around the same time his associates were arrested at Dulles airport, Giuliani told a reporter that he was about to fly out to Vienna.
- A Pro-Russian Ukrainian oligarch is detained in Vienna. Dmitry Firtash is fighting extradition to the U.S. on bribery and racketeering charges. Curiously, Giuliani’s indicted associate was working on behalf of Firtash.
- While President Trump has attempted to distance himself from Giuliani’s indicted associate Lev Parnas, we have learned that Parnas attended a private 2016 election night party.
- We have learned that President Trump removed a career state department official from her post following complaints from Giuliani and his associates. Former Republican congressman Pete Sessions began to attack Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch on conservative media outlets. From recent indictments we have learned that Pete Sessions was being funded by Giuliani’s associates Parnas and Furman. These associates have been indicted by the DoJ for trying to bribe American politicians. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch was a career public servant that supported anti-corruption initiatives in Ukraine, however she was removed from her position while Giuliani’s associates as well as President Trump tried to influence the Ukrainian government.
4) Wall Street Journal – Two Giuliani Associates Who Helped Him on Ukraine Charged With Campaign-Finance Violations: Prosecutors say Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were part of a conspiracy to funnel foreign money into U.S. elections